Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Loneliness


Guest Post by Jerold Austin

After graduation from business school, I was offered a job in Greenville. I was excited about my future and couldn’t wait to get started with work. I didn’t have any friends or family there, but I figured I would make friends quickly, as I always have. 

I’m glad I went ahead and got DIRECTV Greenville connected in my apartment, because despite my optimism, I didn’t make friends so fast. My job was very demanding, and I wasn’t able to dedicate much time and energy to my social life. I was lonely, and spent many nights at home alone the first year I was there. 

I didn’t realize how much harder it was to make friends when you are working, than when you are a student. No matter how hard a student works, you are always in some kid of social setting, like a class or a library. When you go to work every day, people are already entrenched in their lives, and many of them could care less about meeting new people.

No comments:

Post a Comment